Last Modified: May 14, 2014
Riot Games complies with the U.S. - EU Safe Harbor framework and the U.S. – Swiss Safe Harbor framework as set forth by the Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data from the European Union member countries and Switzerland. Riot Games has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Riot Games’ certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor.
I. INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE PRACTICES
A. What Basic Information Does Riot Games Collect?
We typically collect personal information that you provide to us on a voluntary basis, and you may visit some areas on the Site without choosing to do so. However, in order to use certain parts of the Site (e.g., participating in LoL fantasy leagues) and/or log-on to play the Game, you may be required to create an account (an “Account”) by providing us with basic registration information, such as your email address and birthday, and selecting a unique username, in-Game Summoner name, and password. Please keep your username and password confidential -- do not share them with any third parties, as you are responsible for any activity that occurs with your Account log-in credentials. Note that your in-Game Summoner name is not considered personal information for the purposes of this Policy and may be accessible by the general public, whether through the Game, in connection with posts you elect to make on the Site or in Forums (as defined below), or otherwise.
In the course of maintaining your Account, playing the Game, and/or visiting the Site, you might also be presented with the opportunity to voluntarily participate in online surveys or promotional activities (e.g., contests or sweepstakes), which may be operated by Riot Games or by third-party business partners on our behalf. If you elect to participate in our surveys or promotions, you may be asked to provide additional types of personal information, such as your full name, address, and phone number, among other things. Surveys and promotions may also be subject to any additional terms and conditions made available to you in connection with your participation. Please note that this Policy covers information we collect, but does not govern the privacy practices of third parties with whom you may choose to share information, including in connection with Site or Game-related promotional activities. We encourage you to review all applicable terms, conditions, and policies prior to sharing information online.
You might also desire to contact Riot Games for customer support purposes, whether via a “Support” tab found on the Site or otherwise. In contacting customer support, you might be asked to provide additional personal information (e.g., your name, full address, phone number, etc.) to help us respond to your request. In operating the Site or otherwise offering the Game, we might also request other information from you, including hardware specs, software performance metrics, game experience, refer-a-friend, and other demographic information that might be associated with your personal information, such as your gender, hobbies, occupation, platform preferences, and other game ownership information.
Please note that in utilizing certain areas of the Site or the Game, you may have the opportunity to purchase certain goods or services from Riot Games (e.g., buying Riot Points) or third parties (e.g., buying tickets to League Championship Series events). In order to complete a purchase you elect to make from Riot Games, we may require you to provide us with additional information, such as your name, full address, phone number, internet protocol address (for fraud tracking purposes), and credit card information or other payment information, depending on payment method selected. In most instances, information provided for payment purposes will also be shared with a third-party service provider to process the payment on our behalf. If you elect to purchase goods or services from a third party in connection with your use of the Site or the Game, you may be directed to the relevant third party’s website or online service to finalize your order. It is important to note that the Policy does not govern the collection or use of your information by such third parties, and their privacy practices may differ from those described in the Policy. For additional information regarding how payment processors and other third parties working on behalf of Riot Games use your personal information, please see Section IV below. If you would like additional information regarding the privacy practices of other third parties through which you may be able to purchase goods or services in connection with the Site or the Game, please consult the applicable privacy policies of the relevant third party directly.
In the event that you choose to create an Account and play the Game, we also collect certain information regarding your in-Game performance and/or interactions with other users (e.g., wins / losses, recent champions played, average number of kills / deaths etc.). These statistics are associated with your in-Game Summoner name and are publicly accessible by members of the Riot Games community. In addition, we may share your in-Game statistics with third parties in accordance with the terms and conditions set forth in this Policy. This includes freely sharing details about your in-Game performance and usage with application developers and other third parties through our Application Program Interface, which details may become available to the general public via third-party applications and other similar tools. To be clear, the in-Game statistics we share with third parties in connection with this process does not include your email address, username, or other personally identifiable information about you. The use of your information by such third parties is subject to the terms of their respective privacy policies.
If you choose to use our referral service to refer a friend to our Site, we will ask you for your friend’s name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Site. Riot Games stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program.
You or your friend may contact us at [email protected] to request that we remove this information from our database.
B. What Additional Information Does Riot Games Collect?
(1) AUTOMATIC COLLECTION. Our servers automatically recognize visitors' domain names and internet protocol (IP) addresses (the number assigned to computers on the Internet). In addition, your web browser or Game software may transmit to Riot Games certain geographic information or other information regarding your computer, including its capabilities, hardware specs and game data processing. No personal information about you is revealed in this process. The Site may also gather anonymous "traffic data" that does not personally identify you, but that may be helpful for marketing purposes or for improving the services we offer.
(2) COOKIES. From time to time, we may use the standard "cookies" feature of major browser applications that allows us to store a small piece of data on your computer about your visit to the Site. While we do not set any personally identifiable information in cookies, cookies help us learn which areas of the Site are useful and which areas need improvement. You can choose whether to accept cookies by changing the settings on your browser. However, if you choose to disable this function, your experience at the Site may be diminished and some features may not work as they were intended.
(3) WEB BEACONS. Our Site pages contain electronic images known as Web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs) and are used along with cookies to compile aggregated statistics to analyze how our Site is used and may be used in some of our emails and online advertising to let us know which emails and links have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our customer communications and marketing campaigns.
(4) GOOGLE ANALYTICS. We have partnered with Google to help us better understand how users interact with the Site through the use of a tool called Google Analytics. Google Analytics uses tracking technologies such as cookies to automatically collect certain information, including how often users visit the Site and what pages they visit when they do so. We use this information to monitor, protect, and improve the Site and our related products and services. For additional information about Google Analytics -- including details on how Google may use data collected through this tool and the controls that may be available to you -- please consult http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
C. What Does Riot Games Do With Collected Information?
(2) ANONYMOUS INFORMATION. We use anonymous information to analyze the Site traffic, but we do not examine this information for individually identifying information. In addition, we may use anonymous IP addresses to help diagnose problems with our servers, to administer the Site, or to display the content according to your preferences. Please note that we may share aggregate or anonymous information with business partners and other third parties except as otherwise expressly disclosed in this Policy or prohibited under applicable law.
(4) COMPELLED DISCLOSURES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION. We may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) comply with requirements of the law or comply with legal process served on Riot Games or its parent company, subsidiaries or affiliates, (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Riot Games or the users of the Site or Game, or (c) act under unusual, extraordinary or emergency circumstances to protect the safety of the public or users of the Site or Game.
(5) SALE OF INFORMATION. In order to accommodate changes in our business, we may sell or buy portions of our company or other companies or assets, including the information collected through the Site or otherwise collected in connection with the Game. If Riot Games or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information and personal information will be one of the assets transferred to the acquirer. Should such an event occur, we will use reasonable means to notify you, either through email and/or a prominent notice on the Site.
(6) ACCESS TO INFORMATION. You are able to review and request changes to your Account information within the Site at www.leagueoflegends.com/account. Unfortunately, we do not maintain similar procedures within the Game software, and you must visit the Site to take such actions. You may also request that we remove all information about you from our database by contacting us in accordance with Section VII.A below.
D. Notice Concerning Children
PLEASE NOTE: We are a general audience site, and do not direct any of our content specifically at children under 13 years of age. The Site and the Game are not intended for children under the age of 13. We understand and are committed to respecting the sensitive nature of children's privacy online, and as such do not knowingly collect any personal information from any user under age 13. If we learn or have reason to suspect that a Site or Game user is under age 13, we will promptly delete any personal information in that user's Account.
E. Do Not Track Signals
This Site does not participate in online behavioral advertising or provide personal information to third parties about your activities across websites. Our Site is not engineered to respond to browser do not track signals, but you may contact us here [email protected] for any questions about your personal information.
The Site and the Game have security measures in place to help protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information that we obtain from you. We store your personal information on our servers, which are located in secured facilities with restricted access, and protected by protocols and procedures designed to protect the security of such information. In addition, we restrict access to personal information to Riot Games employees, independent contractors and agents who need to know this information in order to develop, operate and maintain the Site and the Game. All Riot Games personnel who have access to this information are trained in the maintenance and security of such information. However, no server, computer or communications network or system, or data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect user information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us through the use of the Game or the Site and we make no assurances about our ability to prevent any such loss or misuse to you or to any third party. You acknowledge and agree that you provide such information and engage in such transmissions at your own risk.
When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
III. WEBSITE AREAS BEYOND OUR CONTROL
A. Public Forums and In-Game Chat Text
The Site includes a section for interactive “forums” in the form of message boards (the “Forums”) to which users with an Account and an in-Game Summoner name may post. Additionally, within the Game, you can participate in real-time interactive chat (“Chat”) with other players. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in the Forums or Chat becomes public information in which you relinquish any expectation of privacy. Remember that Riot Games asks that you not disclose any personal information when posting in the Forums or in Chat, and you should exercise caution when deciding what information to share. We reserve the right, but shall have no obligation, to monitor your use of the Forums or Chat. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at [email protected] In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
B. Third-Party Websites
IV. SERVICE PROVIDERS
We may share your personal information with service providers that we engage for the purpose of processing information on our and your behalf, such as to fulfill product orders, collect billing information and process payments. While providing services for us, these companies may access your personal information.
V. THE TRIBUNAL
Riot Games has empowered its community of users (the “Community”) to police the compliance of other users with Riot Games’ policies as they apply to in-Game behavior. Community members, including you as a user, are allowed to report players and submit descriptions of activity and actions of certain users within the Game, and collectively determine if that particular user was in compliance with all of the Riot Games policies relating to user conduct.
Consistent with the terms of The Riot Games Tribunal Policy, all Chat will be recorded by Riot Games and stored for a period determined by Riot Games in its sole discretion, which period Riot Games may change from time to time. Should your in-Game actions be reported by another user, and should your case come before The Tribunal, the entire Chat log from that particular reported Game session will automatically be included in The Tribunal report and available for viewing by randomly selected members of the Community that participate in The Tribunal. As stated above, please take care to not provide any personally identifiable information in the Chat, understanding that the Chat is public information in which you do not have an expectation of privacy. Notwithstanding the above, Riot Games will not use any personally identifiable information that might appear within the Chat for any purposes whatsoever, beyond the automatic posting of the Chat log to the Tribunal report.
VI. DISPUTE RESOLUTION
A. Dispute Resolution Outside The European Union
If you are a resident of any country not a current member of the European Union, you agree that should any dispute or claim arise out of, or relate to, this Policy (“Claim”), you will attempt in good faith to negotiate a written resolution of the Claim directly with us. You agree that if the matter remains unresolved for thirty (30) days after one party has provided written notice of the Claim to the other party, all parties shall join in mediation services in Los Angeles, California with a mutually agreed mediator in an attempt to resolve the dispute. Should you file any arbitration claims, or any administrative or legal actions without first having attempted to resolve the matter by mediation, then you agree that you will not be entitled to recover attorneys’ fees, even if you would otherwise be entitled to them.
Riot Games will send its notice to the address we have on file to the extent that you have provided additional contact information to us (e.g. by participating in a promotional or survey, or contacting a customer services representative). Otherwise, we will send our notice to the email address associated with your Account. You will send your notice to Riot Games, Inc., 10736 Jefferson Blvd #622, Culver City, California, 90230, Attn: Legal Department. Please note that this informal resolution procedure does not suspend any statutory limitation periods applicable to the bringing of a Claim.
B. EU OFFLINE Dispute resolution
If you are a resident of a country that is a current member of the European Union and have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, you should first contact Riot Games by mail at 10736 Jefferson Blvd., #622, Culver City, CA 90230, or by email at [email protected] If contacting us does not resolve your complaint, you may raise your complaint to the European Data Protection Authorities located in your jurisdiction.
VII. CONTACT INFORMATION AND POLICY UPDATES
A. Contacting Us
If you have any questions about this Policy, our practices regarding your personal information related to the Site or Game, or if you would like to have us remove your information from our database and deactivate your Account, please feel contact us at [email protected]
If your personally identifiable information changes, or if you no longer desire our service, you may correct, update or amend it by making the change on our member information page located at www.leagueoflegends.com/account, or by emailing our Privacy Customer Support at [email protected], or by contacting us by postal mail at the contact information listed below. We will respond to your request to access within 30 days. Please note that the deletion of your data will lead to the termination of your Account and applicable services. However, also note that when you delete your Account, we may retain your Account information for a reasonable period of time afterward for the purpose of internal account management and fraud prevention activities.
If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter(s), we will use your Summoner name and email address to send the newsletter to you. You may choose to stop receiving our newsletter or marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or you can contact us at [email protected]
B. Updates and Changes
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on this Site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
C. Additional Policies
Riot Games: 10736 Jefferson Blvd., #622, Culver City, CA 90230, or by email at [email protected]